Last Updated July 1, 2020
“Save Internet Freedom” (“SIF,” “We”) is a coalition of individual volunteers passionate about preserving and protecting the right to free expression, freedom of speech, and safety and wellness of activists and journalists. It is not affiliated with any organization and is not in itself an individual entity. We built this website to raise awareness and support around United States Internet Freedom Initiatives like OTF, and critical internet freedom tools that assist and enhance the work of human rights activists and journalists across the globe.
Information We Collect
We may collect personal information from You when you interact with this website, contact us through published communication channels, and/or participate in this online policy and activism campaign.
We collect your personal information you voluntarily provide to us. This includes information from:
- When you submit your information through one of the forms created by us, e.g., “Sign Now” and “Report Issue”
- When you contact us using one of the email addresses listed on this website
This Website also collects personal information automatically through products and services We use to operate the Website. This includes:
How We Use The Information We Collect
Your Personal Information will be used only for the purposes of the Save Internet Freedom’s Website campaign through the duration of this Website campaign. We may use your information:
To communicate with you:
- If you opt in to receive updates from our campaign through the “Sign Now” form, We use the email you provided in the petition to communicate with you.
- If you are currently, or wish to, volunteer with us, We may use the contact information (e.g. phone number, email, address) you provided to communicate with you, and to connect you to individuals, organizations, or groups you might be interested in. Those entities are not officially or legally affiliated with this volunteer-run website, and We will only share your information if you ask us to.
To promote the campaign:
- If you give us permission to share your support through one of the options on the “Sign Now” form, We will publish your information on the website as a public supporter.
You may opt out of communications at any time, and/or retract your signature at any time by contacting [email protected].
Third Party Services and Products We Use
We engage certain third party products and services to run this Website, keep the Website secure, and to communicate with you. To do so, We engage the following types of service providers:
- Cloud email and storage providers (so We can email you updates if you opted in, or to connect you to other volunteers and organizations at your request).
- Content delivery networks, cloud hosting providers, and website security providers
- Cloud based services for building and maintaining this Website
Third Party Websites and Apps We Link
This Website links to and interacts with a wide variety of third-party websites, including links to social media, news organizations, collaborators, and others. We are not responsible for, and do not have any control over, the privacy practices or the content of such third parties.
We encourage you to read the privacy policies of any website visited via links from or interactions with this Website. Where appropriate, We will provide specific notice of these third-parties at the point of interaction.
How We Share Information We Collect
We will share information you provide us only with your consent (i.e. publishing your signature only as directed; using our mailing services to send you updates if you have opted in; connecting you to other volunteers if you ask us to). We will not otherwise share your information with any other entity, organization, or partner.
We also manage the information you provide us using certain third-party products and services. We only share information you provide us with these third party services and products where it is essential to the administration of this campaign and functionalities of this website. Please see above for the types of services and products We use.
We may be compelled by law to share your information with a government. If and when believe in good faith that such disclosure is required by law--pursuant to a subpoena or other judicial or administrative order--We will attempt to provide you with prior notice (unless We are prohibited or it would be futile) that a request for your information has been made so that you might have an opportunity to object to that disclosure. We will attempt to provide this notice by email, as that is the main contact information We collect. If you do not challenge the disclosure request, We may be legally required to turn over your information.
If We believe that such requests for information about you are improper, We will independently object to such request.
Data Retention and Your Data Rights
At the end of the campaign, We will delete and remove any information about you from our own records, and will delete and remove your information from any products or services We used to run this campaign in accordance with those products’ and services’ Terms of Service and Privacy Policies.
Your Privacy Choices And Contacting Us
You have the right to view and request copies, to ask us to delete the data and have the data be deleted, and to modify the personal information We collect from you. Contact [email protected] to exercise any of these rights.